Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Construction of Teleconferencing Room

Construction has begun on the new teleconferencing room in the space behind the old Circulation Desk. This room, like several others in the library, will be on the campus room scheduling list and available to campus groups. The Circulation Desk is being torn out and a wall will be constructed to close off the area.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have already had people asking about this room and they are looking for more details. If it will just be for teleconferencing meetings between the other libraries within the state or if it can be used for a nation wide teleconferencing.

Gary said...

The room can be used for state, national and international teleconferencing. The staff of Biomedical Communications will work with any group to set up the connections for the time of the meeting.

The room will be on the campus room scheduling system, like the Admin Conf Room so that it will be available to anyone at UA. Preference will be given to those needing a teleconference set up.

Jose said...

Hi Gary!:

Will there be additional equipment in the room, such as digital projector, laptop(s), VCR, DVD player, TV monitor, etc.?

If so, it would be great if AHSL staff could provide assistance with these services, as opposed to relying on biomed. I realize this will be totally different once COM IT integratese, but I am just wondering about the interim period.


Thanks!

Gary said...

Jose,
We haven't gotten to this level of detail yet. However, judging from the other teleconferencing sites around campus, it will have a permanent TV monitor and camera. Like our Admin Conf room we could move equipment in if it is needed/requested.
I'm not sure that we'd want to permanently leave equipment in there but haven't thought this through.
It would be nice to have wall-mounted monitors in all of the group study rooms . . .

Anonymous said...

I hope AHSL will have 1st priority on the use of this room and can bump other groups if the need arises.

Cindy Steber said...

I believe it will be like any of our rooms, our needs will come first. Please clarify if you can Gary.

Gary said...

Standard practice around the AHSC is that the "host" department has bumping privileges. There have been no formal discussions regarding this room. Informal discussions held in the hallway when the project was first discussed included recognition of AHSL bumping privileges. Given the high demand for teleconferencing, especially between Tucson & Phoenix, I would expect that an AHSL NON-teleconferenced meeting could be bumped by someone else's teleconference. Otherwise, we should have preference.