Since the COM-Phx Learning Communities focus on the humanities, Lindsey and I decided to offer Movie Lunches. Our first venture coincided with the MS-IIs CPR block so we selected Something the Lord Made a 2004 award-winning picture with Alan Rickman, Mos Def and Kyra Sedgwick in "a dramatization of the relationship between heart surgery pioneers Alfred Blalock and Vivien Thomas. We offered it three times, the 3rd time being the charm and we had about 12 students bring their lunches to watch the flick. We are working to identify a film for the next block. Any favorites to suggest?
Lindsey and I both continue to work individually with students preparing to launch their scholarly projects, a very gratifying task. I presented, along with Brooke, an AZHIN orientation to the ATP Training Conference in February, always an interesting experience. We welcomed a new artist to the campus, see the AHSL Phoenix SunCat. Later this month ceramics artists will convene in Phoenix and we will have an abundance of beauty on campus.
We have met lately with visiting library school students from Phoenix and elsewhere who are exploring Arizona as potential work sites. I continue to work with Phoenix-based SIRLS students. I meet regularly with Dr. Silverman, our Phoenix boss and also Jeanette and Gary. It was fun to visit with Sandra Martin in a video meeting with Jeanette and Gary. I was lucky and happy to be at the going away party for Jane Kolbe of the State Library and attend the Convocation in Carefree, a really interesting event planned by the folks at the State Library. The keynote speaker was the exec of the Great Lakes Science Center in Cleveland. She was inspiring and informative. Hope to see the PPT soon!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AHSL-Phoenix Staffed Library Hours Extended
Please join us in welcoming the library’s new student workers: Marla Stump, MS-1, Tori Sprunger, MS-1 and Leslie Padrnos, MS-II. With their help, the library will now be staffed at night and on weekends. Our new staffed hours will be as follows:
* Monday - Thursday 7:30 am – 10 pm
* Friday 7:30 am – 5 pm (no change)
* Saturday & Sunday 12 pm – 5 pm
Thank you and have a great day!
Lindsey
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lindsey and I are already pondering how to do our Prologue week for the Class of 2013. Amazing how time flies. We continue to be most grateful for and to our Tucson colleagues!
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment